Iliterate Poet

A dumping ground for my works in progress.

29 Dec 2010

Seven

Nearly at the seventh, and life is about to renew.
Seven winding paths, I have travelled through.
At last I can see shores ahead of time;
Time to leave this sea of mine behind.
Seven lonely, arduous hills I have climbed.
Stumbled many times on the road I have taken.
Thought I had seen the shore before;
But sadly was mistaken.
Seven mirrors I did break;
My soul dragged through the bracken;
And now I put to good use, all that I have learned;
Because its been seven years now;
And tide is ready to turn.
Oh how I long to view the sands of life;
One grain at a time, appreciate every last one.
For seven years, this shore will be mine;
And when it goes and passes by;
To the sea I will take again.
I'll take another look, reflected in my mind.
Sea of souls and stormy weather;
Reflection of my pain.
Seven snaking lanes, for seven years the same
when its done complete, I'll do it over again.

9 comments:

It is very beautiful. I still would love to listen to you reciting that - your pitch and tone will certainly add to the magic of the lines.

Seven is a mystic number. =)

Great One Shot. =) Take care and keep smiling. =*
 
Definitely would sound good read aloud with the emphasis on alliteration, Gwylym. Reads well too. "Stumbled many times on the road I have taken. / Thought I had seen the shore before; / but sadly was mistaken." Nice write!
 
This poem has a wonderful rhythm; I can see why you'd like it read aloud. I like the despair and hope this poem alternately captures.
 
Good rhythm and flow, grounding, solid repetition of sounds. As it is, and in the tone of it, I do agree it must be read aloud - though I certainly think hearing the poet himself read it aloud instead of myself will be something certainly to anticipate! Wonderful piece though, whether read in silence or aloud.
 
Thank you all for your kind comments :)

The introduction, was possibly my way of relieving the self doubt that one feels before posting a poem, for the World to scrutinise. If I had posted the recording instead, then no doubt, I would be making my excuses and apologies for that too! :)
 
Gwylym, excellent rhythm in this piece.
Well written. Seven is my lucky number.
Pamela
 
Interesting.I have a friend who contends life does change in 7s and decades are not the milestones they're made to be. Presumably we get a whole new body every seven years because everything within us that regenerates does that in seven years..all the cells shed so that makes this subject matter apt. I, too, would have loved to have heard it read aloud but thought it fit in a minstrel lay sort of way song. Thanks, Gay @beachanny
 
Nice wind to this: effective.
 
Thanks for the kind words :)
 

Post a Comment