Iliterate Poet

A dumping ground for my works in progress.

28 Jan 2011

To Be Bearded Or Not To Be Bearded? That Is The Question.


I am thinking of growing a beard, is it, all that weird?
I know, there are much more weighty issues, to ponder
But just bare with me, my smoothed skinned friends
We'll start by looking at beards, through an abstract lens,
A beard isn't a mustache, it grew to form a critical mass
And covered the form like a natural mask, hiding the past.
But it never lasts, as the mask is a sign of a fine aged wine.
I can think of many the wise man, that donned a curly mess
I wonder if I deserve, such a noble disguise and would it get
in my eyes, make them blurry and blind me, from within?
Should I grow a long beard or just stay with simple skin?
The cold whether beating my face, with beard all gone, erased.
Itching my chin, annoyingly, as whiskers primed, ready to grow.
My mind grabs hold and shouts no, no! This isn't the time to start
being blind, That wouldn't be kind, it wouldn't be fair to grow a beard
and pretend I don't care, it wouldn't be right with my thoughts, out of sight,
I'd enjoy the warmth and the coziness of a wiry hidden World
Though, I doubt it would take very long, for me to overheat.
So shall I change the image that you already have of me?
Or should I just have a shave and with every slice of the blade
My mind cut free, resigned myself to being bold, free of masks: Story told.



4 comments:

I'm delighted by the reading of how a dilemma is solved!

I'm very fond of beards for strange reasons you'd think. I don't see them as masks only, but also as clear messages of a men's opinion of aesthetics.

My favorite bearded men happen to be Tagore and the Avett Brothers, google them, just in case.

=*

(Not even a beard could hide your handsomeness) ;)
 
Haha thanks Kenia,

I like your take on Beards, in fact I am going to write another poem, in favour of having the beard :)
 
Clever this piece and supple as it folds around your face and your ideas. I like the bit about masks. It seems everyone has persona they think of as masks. I never did. When I change at the door I think I'm flipping the switch on my natural agoraphobia and transforming into a dazzling butterfly. Maybe I should do a poem on it. This was smart and hip. L. Ferlinghetti, where are you?
 
Yes Mr Ferlinghetti, "where are you", indeed :)

You should do a poem on it, let me know when it's completed.

Gay, you are always a Dazzling butterfly to me and here is a poem about Butterflies and masks ;)

http://illiteratepoetry.blogspot.com/2011/01/empathetic-butterflies.html
 

Post a Comment