Iliterate Poet

A dumping ground for my works in progress.

14 Sept 2010

Friends and family

Friends and family sitting down
Head of the household cutting the crown
Animated laughter all around
Ivory chattering to the beat
The children’s swaying feet
Adults minding what they say
Out come the platters and the boat
Senses evoked by the fragrant silky steam clouds
Cutlery and condiments now join the symphony
Of happy souls and places, time and faces, chinking to the beat
Fine conversing and chardonnay
Help this quartet play away
Now served, the room falls silent as delight ensues
With personal inside views
Senses dominating rule over language
Food is king for that moment before being devoured.
Slowly now as bellies fill
The rhythm of the beat, cranks skyward notch by notch.
Then winding down the clock
And now its time to leave
You wish you could take that beat and produce it on a white sleeve.
And when you’re gone
You try to play it back for as long as you can
until the memories fade.
Then you do it all over again
maybe in twelve months or even one.
You know it won’t be long
Before your home once more having fun.
Dancing to the beat
Rhythm everywhere as I take my seat.
Sitting at this table I feel complete.

9 comments:

Aww - serve up the holidays
great flow
with a wonderful message of family

Thanks for sharing with One Shot
 
Nice comparison, music to food, (and one I can relate to,) a good meal to a complex production, and the physical and mental filling up. Liked it.


PS, you have a typo~log for "long as you can," I think.
 
Thanks for comments, typo fixed. One has to live up to one's name :)
 
Your poem reminds me of the best part of the holidays, as well as it's place in memory and time. Nice One Shot!
 
Shoot. Just read the typo comment and left one in my comment! my bad
 
...Dancing to the beat
Rhythm everywhere as I take my seat.
Sitting at this table I feel complete
...

...true indeed...definitely enjoy the Holidays... :-)
 
Thank you for all of your comments :)
 
Dancing to the beat
Rhythm everywhere as I take my seat.
Sitting at this table I feel complete.

Really love this ending...it wraps up your sentiments so well and surely makes each of us who read this feel complete.

*I had a problem signing on to week 24 last week so my comments are a bit late. Sorry
 
Hello Tolbert, Thanks for commenting on my poems ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed them. I'll look out for your entry this week and leave a comment.

I do, so enjoy, these little virtual tête-à-têtes that my poetry inspires. I get to meet all sorts of intriguing and erudite people.

Makes it worth posting them..
 

Post a Comment